Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Awkward Moment Two: Not being able to understand someone with an accent

   This has happened to all of us. Someone starts talking to you but you can't understand a word they say because of their accent. This makes the situation incrediblyawkward! But you just stand there and nod your head saying "yeah...". They know that you have no idea what their talking about but you pretend you do. From now on the situation is awkward!
   
  A similar situation happened to me. About two years ago, Georgie and I were ordering pizza. I called the number and was ready to place my order. An Asian lady, with a really thick accent, answered the phone and started talking. At first I could sort of understand what she was saying. Then she started asking me all these questions and I could not understand for the life of me. I swear it was not English! I was all confused and couldn't respond so before placing my order I hung up. I called again hoping for someone else to answer. The phone rang and rang. Guess whose little voice I hear on the other line? The same woman! It would not have been so bad but I had to give my phone number again. She obviously knew it was the same person. AWKWARD.......
-Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment