Monday, February 7, 2011

Awkward Moment Eight: Brain on autopilot, mouth still moving

It happens. You have had a long day of communicating with other people, you are tired and just want to go home, chill and maybe do some homework (or not) but you still have some crap to do.Joy. Maybe it's a job, after school activity or volunteering, so you slap a smile on your face and make half-ass, polite conversation with people you don't know that well and you act as though you are having the time of your life. It's comfortable, it's not exactly thrilling, but it keeps you from being bored and awkward. Next thing you know, whoever you are talking to is looking at you as though you have two heads and all you can think is ....... did I really just say that? This happened to me a few weeks ago. I volunteer after school at a care home for the elderly. I actually do enjoy it! But it was a Thursday which is my favorite day of the week because it's the day before Friday, my favorite show is on and I have a yoga class. I only had ten minutes of volunteering left and Millie (she volunteers there too) and I were talking to a very sweet old man who was giving us some very wise, albeit, depressing advice and he starts telling us that we should not get married until we are older. I told him that I want to get married when I am in my late twenties, maybe thirty and he told me that he thinks that is a good age but that we should marry someone ten years older than us. Now at this point, frankly I had no idea what was coming out of my mouth. Maybe I was smiling so big at this sweet old man that my brain wasn't functioning properly. I do not know what possessed me to say "Oh, I know. I love old men!". As soon as I said it I was like what did I just say? Did I just accidently hit on an old man?No!! and I tried to play it off saying "I mean, older, older men....". Millie was standing there looking both amused and weirded out. She was like "What was that Flora?". Luckily he didn't seem to hear my moment of word vomit but it still was pretty awkward. What if he had heard?!? I would have passed out from embarrassment. The moral of the story is watch what you say or you might accidently say something odd and have a scarring awkward moment. So. Awkward.
-Flora

No comments:

Post a Comment