Monday, February 14, 2011

Awkward Moment Fifteen: First Dates

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Here is an especially awkward blog for you. The famous and not-so-fabulous first date. Everyone goes through this at some point. When someone asks you out there are generally 3 (always awkward!) responses and feelings. You either:
a) Really like the guy. This makes it awkward because you have to try your hardest to impress them and act as normal as possible so you don't scare them off and so you can hopefully score a second date. 
b) Really hate the guy. Really, you're only saying yes because you feel bad. Ahh, the sympathy date. Or..
c) Neither like or hate him and say yes because you want to give him a chance and you like the idea of him. And you think that maybe you can grow to like him. Also, you see no reason to not like him. This can definitely be awkward!

My last dating experience was the latter. I was quite convinced that if I just gave him a chance, then he must be right for me! I loved that he liked me, and was very flattered. But you can't make yourself like someone. So off we went on our date to the movies. The awkwardness starts in the line-up to pay for our tickets. He offers to pay, and I politely reply "Are you sure? " And he looks so uncertain that I end up paying. Then we get into the theatre. We look around for seats when I spot a teacher from school and her boyfriend. Just my luck. I avoid eye contact and march straight to the top of the theatre, as far away from my teacher as possible. We sit there munching on some popcorn and it's all okay until I notice his arm casually on the arm rest lying with his hand facing palm up. Hmm. It's almost as if he wants to hold my hand. I glance at it, ignore it, and continue to watch the movie. Of course I would pick a sappy romantic comedy. Which always means awkward sex scenes, just to add to the fun. Once the movie is over, we walk out into the brightly lit entrance. Here I notice my teacher and her boyfriend, once again. They're walking right in front of us and I get that awkward feeling like I am stalking them. I don't want to say hi because that would be the logical thing to do and me, being awkward, would never do that. Uh oh, now we're at the door, and she's holding it open for us, and I am looking everywhere but at her, and I am oh-so-aware of the bright lights shining on us like a spotlight, and my date beside me, and my teacher in front of me, and.. PHEW finally we're outside. I gasp for fresh air and try to release the tension that is building in my shoulders from all that awkward. We begin the walk to his car. Once again, he attempts to hold my hand by reaching out his hand towards me and saying "come on, my car's this way". Once again, I look at his desperately outstretched hand and ignore it. Once we're safely in his car and driving home, I look through the songs on his Ipod. I am an idiot. I choose Taylor Swift "Our Song", and while it's blasting I casually comment "hey, this song's rather appropriate!" He smiles, and then says "You should learn how to drive with one hand." 
"Why?"
"So you can have one hand free for the music.. and the dials.. and so I can hold your hand." He reaches for my hand and this time there is no avoiding it. We sit there in awkward silence. The car ride takes years. Finally, FINALLY, I am home. He walks me to the door, and not knowing how to say goodbye, I give him a quick hug. What a date. AWKWARD!!!!
-Millie

No comments:

Post a Comment