Sunday, February 6, 2011

Awkward Moment Seven: Laughing at something that no one else finds funny

I have this problem. I laugh at everything, even things that really aren't that funny. And isn't it just so awkward when you get started and just can't stop? In fact, the more you try to stop the more you laugh. It just causes problems, because then you're trying to contain it and it comes out sounding like a dying cat or a snort. And then people look at you funny and you laugh harder. And then you laugh at your own laughter and eventually forget why you even started laughing in the first place.

This basically happens to me every day of my life. But there was this one time that was especially awkward. My friend Penny and I went to another friend's birthday party. We were the only one's there that didn't know anyone else. We were all sitting around the table eating veggies and dip and no one was talking, so Penny decides to loudly announce "I'm allergic to dip!" while simultaneously scooping up a huge spoonful of it for her carrots. Everyone just stared at her, deadpan expressions on their faces. I nervously laughed, knowing she is not allergic to dip, how can you even be allergic to dip! Realizing that people were taking her very seriously, Penny says "Just kidding!" and starts to laugh hysterically. I guess she was just trying to make conversation, which clearly did not go well. Everyone continues to stare and suddenly overcome by how funny the situation is, I start laughing uncontrollably along with her. We are in absolute stitches and clutching our stomachs, tears sliding down our cheeks. We can barely look at each other because it just makes us laugh harder. Once we regain control of ourselves we look up and realize that everyone is standing up and slowly inching towards the door, with a mixture of concern and grave seriousness plastered over their faces. It makes me want to start yelling like a crazy person "I'm not insane!!! Stop staring at me! I'm completely normal!" But I don't think that would solve anything. The entire party then proceeds to leave the room and Penny and I just sit there in silence, grinning at each other. It is one of those situations that only ever happens in the movies; a group of strangers' jaws just hanging open like that, with wide eyes and nervous looks exchanged amongst all. SO awkward.
-Millie

No comments:

Post a Comment