Sunday, May 6, 2012

Awkward Moment Forty Four: Family Functions

I don't know if anyone feels the same way that I do, but I find family events to be a smorgasboard of awkward moments. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and I enjoy spending time with the huge bunch of them at birthdays, weddings, reunions, baptisms, dinners just because etc.. but I can't pretend that there aren't moments where I wish that I was standing on a trap door, that I could turn invisible or that whatever I was drinking at the time was a little bit stronger. Whether it is accidently kissing a complete stranger because I think they are related to me (very easy to do if your family is Portuguese like mine and a standard hello is a kiss on both cheeks), strained small talk with relatives from Boston that you have never seen before in your life (but oh my god they remember when I was this big and do I remember the time when... and the answer is no but I nod my head yes, I try to smile convincingly, and I strategically search for an exit), or my personal favorite, when your family demands you go to the children's table because there isn't enough room for everyone at the table you are already sitting at. So there I am, I just finished my first year of University, but I am sitting at a table where the average age is twelve to fourteen. So I can say goodbye to eye flirting with any cute guys who are hanging around the restaurant. It just feels like the eighth grade all over again! I feel like a little girl wearing my mothers high-heels wishing that I could sit with the big girls! I love explaining to my seven year old cousin why I can't marry my brother and telling my ten year old cousin that saying you have sexy boobies to women twice your age isn't appropriate. I really love it! No, it would actually be hilarious if it was someone elses issue! Seriously awkward.

- Flora

No comments:

Post a Comment